On this page you can:
- browse NMSSA data in the Data Windows
- find technical information and reports
- learn how to access NMSSA data for research.
How to access NMSSA data for research
NMSSA data is available to researchers, educators and post-graduate research students for secondary analysis.
To access NMSSA data
- Complete the Data Access Request and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your application will be reviewed by NMSSA, in consultation with the Ministry of Education.
- Once approval has been granted, complete the Data Access Contract and email to email@example.com.
- Anonymised data will be released to you.
We will provide feedback if your application is not accepted, and you may be able to resubmit.
NMSSA data available
Two types of data are available:
- Achievement data from nationally representative samples of Year 4 and Year 8 students in English-medium state schools. in each learning area of the New Zealand Curriculum from.
- Questionnaire responses from students, principals, and teachers. Questionnaires are designed to identify and understand factors associated with achievement.
Researchers are provided with the relevant digital data from the dataset that is submitted to the Ministry of Education annually. All data is anonymised. Electronic copies of the relevant data dictionaries are also provided. Any requests for data matching to other datasets will be handled by, and authorised by the Ministry of Education.
The list below indicates the years data was collected in each learning area. Please contact Associate Professor David Berg with specific questions about what is available.
Learning areas and years programme was conducted in schools (2012–2021)
- English: 2015, 2014, 2012
- The Arts: 2021, 2015
- Health and Physical Education: 2021, 2017, 2013
- Learning Languages: 2021, 2015
- Mathematics and Statistics: 2018, 2013
- Science: 2017, 2012
- Social Sciences: 2018, 2014
- Technology: 2021, 2016